Saturday, February 2, 2013

EBW February challenge: Japan

Progress is necessary for a country to move on and improve, but tradition is indispensable.
Traditions give roots to people so they can always have their feet firmly on the ground and start again whenever they fall down.

Having experienced many differences moving from one place to another, all in the north of Italy -so very different from the south in a million ways- I know for sure that whenever I'm feeling down, or just don't know how to behave, traditions from my family and my town are what really cheer me up and make me feel confident again.
Can be a conforting recipe from my grandma; a saying in my town slang, full of wisdom; a festivity we try to celebrate even though it is not known where we live now.

Japan is a country which has endured a lot of tough situations, and I think it owes that to its people strong faith in tradition.
Bombs, earthquakes, tsunami, just to name some.
Everytime they fall, they always stand up again, more fierce and determined than before.
Fall down seven times, stand up eight.



My piece for this challenge wants to celebrate some typical, traditional Japanese symbols.



Its cooking tradition (sushi); the famous cherry blossoms; a kokeshi doll; a koi, the symbol of perseverance in adversity and strength of purpose; national pride, with the country flag and the rising sun;


mount Fuji, or Fuji-san, the (almost)sacred volcano;



the Daruma doll, symbolizing the ability of recovering from troubles and stand up again.



And I swear, it's really comfortable to wear!
I'm so happy with this bracelet. I really made something out of my comfort zone and love the result.
Can't wait to see all of them all together in the mosaic!

5 comments:

  1. I love all of these pieces. I was so blessed to spend some time in Japan and you are right the people are strong, proud, and traditional. It is their strength and I fell in love with it all. If I could live anywhere in the world it would be Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I envy you so much!!! I totally agree and hope to go there soon

      Delete
  2. It's a unique and very beautiful bracelet!!! Your maki rolls i like most:)
    Are you intrested? Here is a pattern for "Nigiri Sushi" --- http://www.artbeads.co.kr/recipes/?s_code=ABAG&s_pcode=70701561

    Greetings
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea!
      I know that pattern but I'm trying to make a new one also for Nigiri :D it's funnier this way!

      Delete